Search This Blog

Thursday, February 21, 2013

School Day

Hi all,
Well today was school day.  The group that my friend and I are the co-president for has a great group of ladies who have a wealth of knowledge.  My friend and I both bought a Baby loc Elegante which is an awesome machinge but we are not using it to its full potential.  We both have a very minimal working  knowledge of the embroidery portion.  We took the lessons but unfortunately as accomodating as the Shop is, it is just to much to absorb at once.  So this group of ladies offered to teach us rookies how to unlock the usefulness of our machines.  Yeah! So classes began today. 

The first thing they taught us today was how to save designs on our computer and keep them organized and the wealth of freebies out there.  As any one who has a emboridery machine knows, it is not the cost of the machine that kills you.  Although they are expensive, the real cost is in the programs and patterns and when you are first learning it can be mind  boggling  on which program to buy let alone which patterns to buy and don't forget how to work them.  So having access to the free designs is a great life saver.  It allows me to try out alot of different companies, get used to them and then make an educated decision of what is best for me. Awesome.  This may sound silly but the two hours scheduled for the class disappeared and before you know it, it was time to go home.  Anyway all and all, I would consider it a success.  I was left with homework and a tone of stuff to research. 

Moving on, yesterday I promised a finished picture for the blue floral.  My mom finished the binding today and this evening I took the quilt to the customer.  She was so excited and was very happy with the finished product.  Yeah, another happy customer.

A little information on this quilt :  I used the snow balls with sashing inbtween to give the feel of a lattice looking out into the garden.  I took the fabric and with the large floral and applied wonder under to it.  Then I cut out randomly around the leafs and flowers and appliqued these smaller random cuts over the top of the sashing.  It gives the illusion of vines intertwinning around the lattice.  Then I free motions sewed the applique down with speciality thread that was shiny.  It gave definitiion and depth to the leaves and flowers.  This was the first time I had done this effect and I really liked the look it gave.  I learned a few things that I will change for next time but over all I am very pleased with the quilt and the customer is happy also. 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Well I think I will turn in for the night.  I have an early morning waiting for me tomorrow.  See you on the slip side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment