Search This Blog

Monday, February 18, 2013

Busy Days

Hello friends and family,
Sorry it has been so long since I last posted.  My days have been busy for a multitude of reasons.  this weekend is my weekend off (or I should say my chance to excape the house).  I get the opportunity to get out of the house and attend a clinic for the Dear Jane quilt taught by an aweson patient lady by the name of Susan Axlerod.  .
I have been quilting for the better part of 25 years but I was self taught and  I learned many things by trial and error.  Finally I am a time in my life were I have the time and the funds to take some classes to learn technique.  For this reason I took the challenge to work on this quilt.  I figured that it woud give me an opportunity to learn technique due to the fact that these squares finish at 4 1/2 inches and may have 40 to 50 pieces. My thoughts were that if I could do these squares, I could do any thing.  Traditionally this quilt uses cival war fabrics but I decided to break the overall quilt into 4 smaller quilts.  Each section will be done in different motifs in order to have variety especially this quilt is actually for me which is a rarity.  Here are a few of the squares that I am working on or are done. I am actually enjoying working on this quilt.  However as you can see I have so far chosen the easy blocks.  Didn't want to  get scared off right of the bat.  Also as you can see one of the motifs is bright batiks and I just started the cival war motif.  I think one the others will be 30's prints and I have not figured out the other yet. 
 
 
This one below is actually of four parts.  In this square I am learning y seeming.  Many people may have used it in a block called tumbling blocks. 
 



The next section is another project I am working on.  The lady it is for loves yellows and blues and the friend who is purchasing it for her wanted something very cheerful.  I thing we met that criteria.  What do you think?
 


 
 
 
Here it is on the design wall auditioning borders.  I tried several but finally settled on a small Yellow decorative border and the dark namy blue to pick up the blue in the quilt.  These next two pictures are of the appliques I am applying.  My idea for this quilt was to creat a lattice effect where one could feel like they were looking out and into a garden, thus the two prints.  I also had an idea to give depth by adding the appliques to the lattice to give the feel of the vine intertwinning on the lattice.  I hoped I accomplished this. 

 

 


 
The next two pictures are the borders before they ar sewn in and the first one is the flowers that I am cutting out to be used fot the applique. 



 
 
These final two pictures ar the quilt I wrote about the other day.  I finally finished as you can see.  At first I really didn't like this quilt and I just wanted to get it done but as you can see It didn't turn out too bad.  It is huge though and was a pain to work on.  It is 94" wide and 100" long.  fits a King sized water bed.  The guy it is for is a avid fisherman and had a collection fish related t shirts and sweat shirts.  He wanted to use the sweatshirts so all the tshirts have been appliqued to the sweatshirts.  If I were to do this again I think I would purchase the sweatshirt fabric rather than trying to use sweatshirts.  There is too much variance in the sizes and styles that make it difficult to come up with a standard size.  All in all the finished product ended up being something I was proud of. 


 
Any way, glad to be back blogging.  Hopefully I will be posting daily adding in maybe some recipies and funny excerpts from daily life.  Here is one I want to share.  My baby in the lap of luxary beside her favorite person, me.   Usually where ever I am there she is flaked out.  Tonight she is patiently sleeping waiting for me to finally shut the lights out and go to be. 
 
 
 
 
 

 
Finally if you like my work, be sure to stop by my Etsy store and search for Eagle Wings Creations.
I am going to sign off for now.  See you on the flip side. 

 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment